Saturday 6 August 2016

Virtual Reality for £3?

Oculus Rift from Google and Sony's Virtual Reality addon to PlayStation are both rumoured to be around £350 when available, so when my 8 year old came home with a £3 cardboard virtual reality goggles from Flying Tiger I wasn't expecting much. 


How wrong was I?  This thing is amazing!  Little did I know that there are already lots of free apps in the Apple App Store that work with it, just search for Virtual Reality!

It's based on Google Cardboard (https://store.google.com/product/google_cardboard) so there's lots of content from Google and others who have used their template.

When you're in a compatible app you need to tap this button to activate cardboard VR:

The image will split in two (1 picture for each eye).  For best results, you should hit the cog button and scan this QR code:

Then put your phone in this box:


And hold it up your eyes or use the elastic band (well it is £3) to secure it to your head:

Now wherever you look the image follows you!

Here's a sample from Google where you in a boat in a digital 3D ocean:

Where there's even a huge leaping, splashing whale:

What's most impressive feature of our £3 googles is the built in button which allows you to interact with the virtual world!


Already we've been looking around using Google Street View, played a load of games and looked around Rio to get a feel of the Olympic atmosphere.

All in all a bargain at £3!

4 comments:

  1. I was looking for the QR badly, Thanks :D now I don't see double :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helped. I have no idea why they haven't included this QR code in the box...

      Delete
  2. The article looks magnificent, but it would be beneficial if you can share more about the suchlike subjects in the future. Keep posting. AR Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    Digital Marketing Training in Chennai

    Digital Marketing Course in Chennai


    ReplyDelete